I stopped by my Mom's house to pick Avery up and couldn't resist getting a few last pictures with my Grandmother before she headed home today.
Avery cried. I'm not talking a few tears, I'm talking the hysterical sobbing tears with snotty nose, etc. because the doctor "is a man and I'm a girl."
I should've known things were not going anywhere but down at this point, but I didn't see the warning signs.
Once he examined the warts, the doctor said, "let's go ahead and freeze them off." Well, Avery knew enough to know that was NOT what she wanted. The hysterical crying from earlier...it only got worse. The doctor finally left the room to "give Mom time to try and calm her down."
After about five minutes, she was calmed down. Her legs were no longer inner twined around mine and her arms didn't have a death grip around my neck. The sobbing stopped and we were able to talk about the procedure options.
Avery finally agreed to let the doctor try to freeze one of the warts. If it hurt too bad, he would stop and we would regroup. All of that went out the window when he walked in the freakin' door with the thermos thingy open. I really could have hurt the man at this point.
So, we left the office with a prescription for some cream to put on them at home. It takes months (yes, you read that right...months) to work and causes lots of blistering and rashes.
To say I was embarrassed by the whole thing would be a slight understatement, but I know how fearful Avery is of medical procedures. We have just gotten to the point that she can actually walk into the doctor's office on her own knowing that she will be getting a shot - HUGE step!
Well, after we pull up at the pharmacy and Avery finishes talking to Wes on the phone she tells me "I think I want to do the blistering method." This is a liquid medicine the doctor puts on in his office every two weeks over the course of several visits. I headed back to his office, but they were already closed.
Looks like I'll be calling back tomorrow and pleading for an appointment before school starts. That's if they will still see us :)




No comments:
Post a Comment