Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 287/365 - October 14

Avery brought home a paper detailing a special project/poster contest for school. Since it was optional, I quickly tossed it aside (a.k.a. threw it away).

She got in the car Tuesday and informed me that they would get 20 bonus points in math for completing said poster. The Goldens don't pass up bonus points...especially in math!

Most people would think we started working on that poster immediately since Tuesday was a light homework night. You would be so wrong. I'm just not that much of a "plan aheader" when it comes to stuff like that. In my mind, I figured it would be a great project for Avery's early morning "alone time" (ya know, while Mom sleeps a little late) Saturday morning.

I'm sitting at work Wednesday and happen to look at the school website and quickly realize that blasted poster is due Friday. As in two days away....ack!!

Of course, I have to run out at lunch and pick up a poster board and the necessary supplies to work on this blasted poster all the while praying (really hard) for another light homework night.

I've never been so happy to hear the words, "no homework tonight Mom." I'm guessing the teachers REALLY want participation from the kids and are hoping this will encourage it??? Needless to say, we jumped right on the poster when we walked in the door last night.

Did I mention the theme of this project? Agriculture: A Growing Story. Oh, and the kids were "highly encouraged to use your creativity to show how people who live in cities depend and benefit from those who work on farms." 

On top of that, each grade was assigned a commodity. 4th grade = chickens. No pumpkins, corn, dairy, or potatoes like the other grades got...chickens. Is it starting to make sense why I ignored this from the get go?

Bottom line - two and a half hours later, Avery's masterpiece was complete.
I think she did a great job!

No comments: