Today was a holiday for the entire family and it was much needed! Wes woke up and went to work and was nice enough to let me sleep a LOT later (and so was Avery)! I slept in until 8:00 - woo hoo!!!
Avery and I did a few things around the house and I started to a nice big lunch for us all (salisbury steak, homemade mashed potatoes, etc). I peeled the potatoes over the sink and turned the disposal on and trouble began...
The rubber piece that acts as a shield/guard flew out across the room and water started shooting everywhere. I knew this was NOT good and quickly turned off the disposal. I realized the water wasn't draining so I dug around trying to see if something was clogging it up - nope, other than those blasted potato peels. After fooling with it a while longer, I called my MIL to make sure I didn't "mess up" by putting the potato peels in there :) and she reassured me that it was fine ((phew)) and gave me a few other suggestions which I tried.
Wes arrived home to find the plunger in the sink and a big ole mess too! He fooled with it for a while and eventually decided to take the pipes under the sink apart along with the disposal to figure out the problem (all the while reminding me that he was "not a plumber"). When I pulled the camera out, he told me, "that camera is gonna end up somewhere that the flash won't work" so I had to hand it over to Avery to take the photos :)
After a few choice words, lots of towels and pots, and a pretty big mess...
he did get it all figured out, fixed, and put back together. I kindly offerred to clean up all of the icky mess. Figured it was the least I could do, but yucky!
Oh, and on the microwave front :) Wes's Dad offerred to come over and help take it out and re-install it and he gladly took him up on the offer! It really did seem to go pretty smoothly with two people and didn't take too long to get it down, correct the blower, and get it re-installed. I must say, the microwave sounds SO much better without the vent running!
So, now we have a disposal that is all gunk free and a microwave that is installed and working properly - what more could a girl want?!? And who would dare ask what could happen next? Surely NOT me!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Don't you love days like that! When everything just flies off the list. I asked my husband to bring up the super heavy ladder from the basement, but nope I think I'll be dragging it up myself. He can fix the walls if I ding them up! :)
Yuck! I hate garbage disposal messes! Ours is cracked at the top so if too much water gets in it before you turn it on it leaks everywhere! We're supposed to be getting a new one next month. Glad you guys got everything fixed - I can't imagine what I would of done if my disposal had come at me like that! lol
Post a Comment