Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 30/365 - January 30

Did the alarm actually go off at 4 a.m. today? I don't recall turning it off, but Wes got up and went hunting so obviously I did!

Avery and I had a nice lazy morning before getting ready and heading out to start our day. We had lots of errands to run and Avery was pretty excited when we started but not so much by the end.

We left home at 10:30 and stopped by the bank. I had to make a deposit and Avery needed to deposit her savings portion of her allowance into her savings account. This is an area that Wes and I have agreed to disagree on - so I just do what I want ;) Avery earns $10 each week in allowance. $1 (10%) goes to the church for her tithe, $5 (50%) is deposited into her savings account at the bank, and she gets the remaining $4. I know, I know - $10 IS a lot. It started more about teaching her the premise behind earning, tithing, saving, and getting. And the bottom line is, it works for us. Wes (I think) has even kind of come around to it now. Well, at least he doesn't complain about it anymore.

After the bank, we stopped by Chick-fil-A for an early lunch. Avery got to play on the playground for 30 minutes while I finished up my grocery list. Then it was finally on to Target. Avery had her eye on a purple laundry basket and had been dying to purchase it. She finally got it today along with a package of pink doilies. Both were bought with her allowance that she's been saving up. All the rest of her money is being saved for a kitten - I don't have the heart to tell her yet that she's not buying a kitten! While at Target, Avery picked out some "make your own" Valentine cards for her class. Of course they only came 8 in a pack = 3 packages of $5 cards. Yep, we can't just get the $4 box of cards, we spend $15 on cards that you have to come home and still make. What can I say - she's certainly my kid when it comes to that! She also picked out a Valentine mailbox that she couldn't live without. Of course, I had to get that too.

After our quick stop at Target, we headed over to WalMart. I knew it would be the longest part of our day, but was hopeful the yucky weather would keep some folks at home. It wasn't nearly as crowded as usual, but it still took us 2 hours-blah!! Avery even said, "this isn't fun at all. Now I know why I stay home when you come here." She cracked me up with her expression and tone of voice!

We finally made it back home at 3:00 and Avery quickly retreated to her room to work on her Valentine mailbox. She worked on it for quite a while over the course of the afternoon.

After finishing it up, she started working on her Valentine cards. It's great to see how much she enjoys doing art work and craft projects.

Wes got home from hunting and decided to run up to PepperTree and get some steaks to grill out for dinner. We haven't had steak since New Year's Eve over at the Lowe's and it sure was good and hit the spot!

2 comments:

jupiter394 said...

Two hours at Walmart. I think I'd want to stay home too. :) Love her little mailbox. I'm totally with you on the money. It's good for them to learn to long term and also short term save to buy what they'd like. Just like you and your photobook stash! :)

Melanie said...

Tori has the same feelings about Wal-Mart lol I think our whole family does - except for my mom! I love the allowance plan you have for Avery - I want to do something similar, but Nick didn't get an allowance growing up so we're stilling working out the details on that one lol I love that she's crafty!