Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 77/365 - March 18

Happy 10th Anniversary!!!!

Wes and I woke up early this morning (4:30) to finish packing and head for Savannah. We pulled out of the driveway at 6:00 on the nose. Considering Wes wanted to leave between 5:30 and 6:00, I feel we were successful - he would probably disagree :)

We plugged the hotel's address into the GPS and headed on our way. Imagine our surprise when we were "told" to turn off in Opelika. Did we question where we were heading? Nah...not until we were in the middle of nowhere Georgia. Turns out, we took the "quickest route" that cut out Atlanta and Macon and we ended up hitting I-16 a little West of Dublin, GA. Considering we made it to Savannah in a little over 5 hours, I'm NOT complaining! Everyone told us it would be a 6 hour trip, so yippee!!

We arrived at our hotel, Mansion on Forsyth Park, and luckily our room was ready early so we checked in. 



The room was simply amazing! We had a view of the park, but were also directly over the front entrance/valet parking which we would come to find out later could get kind pretty loud. That bay window directly over the double arches (on the second floor) was our room.

After getting settled, we decided to head down to the riverfront area and just check out the area. Turns out, we were at the FAR end of the historic district away from everything, but it was still great. We walked and explored many of the squares along the way there and back - stopping at each one to read about it's history and significance.
Once we made it down to the river, we walked along River Street and checked out all of the shops and restaurants. We also stopped at Colonial Park, the city cemetery from the mid 1700's to mid 1800's. It was there that my camera finally decided to stop working. I didn't mention that it fell during our snow storm back on 02/12. It seemed to still be working pretty well so I was hoping that it would be OK, but deep down I knew that wasn't the case. Looks like it will be point and shoot for the rest of our trip (unless you can use a 75-300 lense!!).

Today was a pretty cool day - high 50's/low, low 60's and windy. Tomorrow should be a lot warmer - in the mid 70's. It's a mile one each way from our hotel straight to the riverfront area, so the cool weather wasn't too bad today.  I know we will get lots more walking in the rest of the weekend too.

We had a wonderful day with LOTS of walking and can't wait to get a full day to explore tomorrow! Thanks for an amazing anniversary sweetie!!!

2 comments:

jupiter394 said...

Wow! What a gorgeous place! Can't wait to see more pictures of Savannah.

kmkarayannis said...

Kelli, great pictures, your hotel looks exquisite! I would love to stay at a place like that, especially in Savannah! Seems from the pics you posted so far that you had a great time together!