Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 86/365 - March 27

Another Saturday means another trip to WalMart. Guess I shouldn't complain since it has been a few weeks since I've had to make a "full" shopping trip. I think Wes and Avery were ready to disown me if I didn't stock the kitchen with some groceries!

Avery had a practice game at noon today. The morning started off cool and windy, but warmed up nicely to the mid 70's (but the wind stuck around). About halfway through her game, Avery called me over to the dugout to ask if I thought she needed any sunscreen. Of course I replied, "nah." Really should've thought that one through - middle of the day, sleeveless shirt, full sunshine, no sunscreen = really bad thinking! Now, Avery did fail to mention to me that she had sunscreen in her bag! Oh well, you live and learn. Avery's shoulders and face are fried and she's pretty certain (in her words) that "she's never had a sunburn this bad e.v.e.r."
Of course, Avery didn't notice that I also got fried with a beautiful farmer's tan - a wonderful scoop neck and 3/4 length sleeves. Oh, and let's not forget about my flip flops - they leave a BEAUTIFUL tan line!!

We played Sydney's team in the practice game today and not that we were keeping score (we were), but we won 21-12. I think we would have had an even better score, but we didn't actually "play" a game, we batted through the entire line up each inning so that each girl would have 4 at bats. It was a great learning experience for the girls. Many (and I do mean MANY) got their first taste of being hit by a ball - we are playing girl pitch for the first year. The game does seem to drag on a bit though. The way pitching works now - girl pitches until she walks 4 girls in one inning and then the coach pitches the rest of the inning. Needless to say, the girls in the field can get a bit bored and restless.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off quite that detailed.

Sydney came over later in the afternoon and the girls were determined they wanted to go swimming next door. We compromised and I bought a new Slip 'n Slide for them.

They lasted all of FIVE minutes before announcing they were cold and ready to come inside. Notice the lovely expressions on their faces?!? You can also see the beautiful redness of Avery's sunburn quite well in this photo.
I kindly informed them that if they thought this was cold, it wouldn't take much imagination to figure out how cold the pool is.  They decided they would suffer through the pain, I mean cold, and play a few more minutes.

Wes grilled out some yummy pork chops for dinner and Sydney stayed until bedtime for what we like to call a "mini sleepover." They get to do everything except spend the night - she ate dinner, took a bath, put on her pj's, watched TV, and then went home right before bed.

A busy and packed day for sure! I'm thinking we'll all sleep good tonight!

1 comment:

jupiter394 said...

ha, ha I always laugh at the not keeping score thing.

That first sun of the season always catches up with you. Glad to see she's practicing the teenager drama with the e.v.e.r. She'll be a pro by the time she's there. :)