I must admit that I was wrong about Avery not getting up this morning. Of course, it I had stopped to realize that today was Wednesday I would have known otherwise. Today was the day the Animal Shelter told us to check back to see if they have any kittens available to adopt.
I went in to wake Avery up and she was still in bed, but did have the TV turned on. She quickly perked up and said, "GOOD MORNING!! Do you know what today is?" Of course I do - today is the crazy day you hope we can get an animal, bring it home, and leave it here for hours alone (with our two dogs and mean cat) while we go to church ;)
Being the good mom, I actually DID call all of the shelters in our area (Montgomery, Autuaga, and Elmore) and only one shelter had kittens and they were 10 weeks old. However, it was the one shelter that is more than 30 minutes away - there's no way possible for us to even get there and back before church tonight. I even called 3 different vet offices and they didn't have or know of anyone with kittens either.
I was actually told it's not "kitten season" - who knew?!? My 8 year old is now very informed about the mating of cats though :)
Today is Ash Wednesday which is significant day in the Methodist religion. Our church had a come and go communion/Lord's Supper service that Wes and I were planning to take part in. However, our in depth class that we participated in (to learn more about the church) ran over and we didn't make it :( We were both pretty disappointed.
However, imagine our surprise to find out that all of the kids were able to go - which meant Avery too!
By the time we picked her up, her cross was a bit smudged but you get the idea.
I was blown away by how much information she learned just from the service and lesson tonight. As we were going to bed, she asked me told me all about the significance of Lent and how you are suppose to give up something that comes between you and the Lord. She explained how long it lasted, when it ended. I was very surprised.
Then came the question..."I still don't understand one thing. How did God get here." Um, yeah. That's one that I even have trouble with Avery. So, I gathered my thoughts (as best you can at 9:00 at night) and proceeded to attempt to answer without doing any damage :)
Me: See, God created everything.
Avery: Oh, I know. But how did He "get" here to do that.
Me: He was here from the beginning. The Bible tells us in Genesis that God created the Heavens and Earth and on the first day He said, "let there be light" and the sun, moon, and stars were created.
Avery: How did Jesus come later then?
Me: God is actually made up of three beings - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is God, our creator. The Son is Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of our sins. The Holy Spirit is what's all around us and lives in us once we accept Christ in our hearts.
Avery: So God is kinda like a cake? You have to have the flour, eggs, and sugar to make it?
Me: Well, I guess it's a little like that.
Ahhh, just when you think you're making some headway....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment