Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 58/365 - February 27

We were up bright and early today for softball tryouts. Avery decided to "move up" and play in the Angels division with the 9-10 year old girls even though she won't be 9 until half way through the season. Based on her age, she could have "stayed down" and played in the Darlings division. However, most of her friends and girls she has played with for several years were moving up so she decided (and we agreed) that moving up would be good for her.

Wes will be coaching again this year and we are both looking forward to that. Who would ever have known years ago when we started this journey into softball how much we would both end up enjoying it? Certainly not us, that's for sure. But let me tell ya, we have met some amazing people and feel so blessed by all of the kids we have been involved with.

You know it had to be tryout day because it was about 35-40 degrees with 15 mph winds. I'm talking C.R.A.Z.Y. cold - which it always is for tryouts. Last year we had rain/sleet/snow and tryouts were canceled! Anyway, parents were told they should be "in and out" in 15 minutes. Um, the first group started at 10:00 and everything wrapped up at noon. Two freakin' hours in the crazy wind and cold. Those girls were freezing even though they were running and moving around. I was shocked to see that some girls even had on shorts!!!

Here is a photo of all the papers and spreadsheets Wes uses for tryouts and the draft. There were over 50 girls that registered this year so we are hoping for 5 teams!!
Yep, we do take it pretty seriously :) However, the main goal is for the girls to ENJOY playing, learn some techniques, foster team spirit, and have fun. If we happen to win along the way, all the better ;)

Wes had to stick around after Avery's tryouts for the next age group since he is President of that division. I took Avery and we went to grab some lunch at Jalapenos. I did pick Wes up some to go food though :)

Avery made plans earlier in the week for her friend Kathleen to spend the night tonight. We headed over to her Girl Scout cookie booth sale to buy a few boxes of cookies and pick Kathleen up.

The girls had a great time together. The immediately pulled out a tattoo kit that my sister Christie gave Avery for Christmas. It didn't take long for them to both be COVERED in tattoos - arms, face, stomach. They were DEVASTATED when they realized they still had to take a bath!

While they were bathing, I put together and baked a stromboli for dinner - it was super yummy too!

Oh, and is it bad that I ate an entire box of Thin Mints tonight? Just wondering....
They sure were yummy, but I sure did feel crummy! At least I got my fill and won't need any until next year!!

No comments: