Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 54/365 - February 23

I can not put into words how wonderful my shower was this morning with HOT water. I can't stand to go any length of time without showering and I really enjoy long showers that use most of the hot water (sorry sweetie). 

What's the point of this? Just to remind myself how grateful I am for the luxury. A friend of mine, Becca, and her family are missionaries in Africa. During their dry season (which is currently on-going), it is not unusual to go many days without showering. It's the small things in life that I tend to take for granted. However, hearing about other people's daily life reminds you how fortunate you are. Thank you so much Becca for the sacrifices you and your family make sharing the word of God with so many!

After such encouraging words, my picture today is going to seem so negative. It's not intended that way. I just feel that it's a perfect representation of the past week at our house.  Please see below for what's left of our money tree
As you can see, there are NO branches left - it's down to the trunk. Waiting for spring to sprout new growth. (This just happens to be one of the crepe myrtle bushes we trimmed during our family yard day Saturday).  Things aren't that bad for us, but it sure does feel that way sometimes!

Just a quick recap of our spending over the weekend:
  • Humane Shelter - Princess - $70
  • Dr visit & medicine - Kelli - $150
  • Tennis shoes & cleats - Avery - $125
  • Hot water heater - $1,000
  • Truck repairs (not engine) - $450
  • Avery's love for Princess - PRICELESS
The cherry on top was when I ran into Sam's (wholesale club) to pick up a few things Monday. As I was checking out, the cashier informed me that our membership just expired so it automatically renewed = $45. Of course it did ;)

I still haven't taken Princess to the vet for her initial check-up and both dogs are due for the annual vaccines and check-up too. Now THAT should be a fun and really inexpensive trip too! And of course, we still have to deal with the truck situation :(

The funny thing is, Avery asked me tonight, "why is all of this bad stuff happening right now?" One simple question is all it took to remind me about my priorities and not feeling sorry for ourselves. My response, "Avery, you know that the devil is always trying to tempt you and make you doubt God. This is just one of those times. All we can do is stay strong and positive."  And that's exactly what we're gonna do!

1 comment:

Becca S said...

Wasn't that SOOO nice of Sam's club to renew your membership for you *sarcasm here*...hehe! Thanks Kelli, for your post. Honestly...I can't complain! There are missonaries here in other cities, that NEVER have water. I think I might go crazy! :) God has blessed us with spring water...and in the rainy season it is over and abundant...we aren't too far away from that season thank the Lord! :)