Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 101/365 - April 11

I didn't even bother asking what time the girls woke up this morning. I was just grateful that I was able to sleep until 7:30!  Our SS class was canceled and so we ended up staying home and just letting the girls spend the morning together playing. They rode bikes and scooters, played outside, played inside, and just had fun together.

I took Paige and Caitlin back to my Mom's house around noon so that I could drop Avery off at Kathleen's house for her birthday party. It was a painting party in Millbrook and her parents were kind enough to take several of the kids including Avery.  I used my "free afternoon" to pick up the items needed for Avery's book report/project due at school this week. Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute! The remainder of my free time was spent cleaning the house. However, after several unsuccessful weeks, I can finally say that I got the entire house cleaned - AT ONE TIME!!! Is it sad that this made me extremely happy?

What was Wes doing during this time? He continued work on "the swingset."  Here are the parts that he completed between yesterday and today.

The smaller, front roof
 
The lookout with the "telescope" that's really just a piece of plastic and doesn't magnify anything!
 And with that (and a full YEAR later) the swingset is pretty much complete.
 
There is a large window that still needs to be put in on the left hand side. Wes thought he would get out of putting it in. However, once Avery saw there was extra wood, that hope was shot down! Lesson learned - dispose of any remnants before child sees them! Avery has also decided she would like a door somewhere on that monstrosity too. If you recall, her Dad can do anything so that will come in handy :)

Avery made it home around 6:00 with the most adorable piece of artwork from Kathleen's party.
She said they were given the canvas with the beige background already painted and the dogs already traced in pencil. Each girl was then able to paint their picture and add the paw prints. The instructors came back and added the wording, whiskers, and some painted outlines. I think it looks great and she had such a wonderful time! I actually suggested this (at Corks & Canvas) for her 9th birthday, but she decided to do a swimming party instead. Now she has informed me that she'll probably do a painting party next year :)

We had to quickly jump in and get started on her school project. How does a book report turn into a cooking project? Seriously. She had to read a "how to" book and then implement what she learned. Then she had to put together a poster of the process completed with photos and/or drawings. Does this sound like a book report?

Avery decided on cooking, so I picked up a Betty Crocker Junior Cookbook for her with several cute quick recipes for her to pick from. Once she settled on a recipe, we headed to Winn Dixie to pick up the ingredients and get started.

She really enjoyed using her new cookbook and following the recipe, measuring everything out, and preparing it all.

Wow, another late night - 9:00 before she was in bed after working on that project. We had to get the cooking portion finished up tonight though. She has a softball game tomorrow night and can work on the poster Tuesday night. Whew, I'm ready for bed too!

No comments: