Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 107/365 - April 17

**WARNING - SUPER LONG POST AHEAD**

Wes decided Avery needed a longer bat-this is something I told suggested before the season started by the way. So, Wes mentioned it to his parents and they decided that would be their birthday present to Avery this year. He went and picked one out at Academy last night and I wrapped some tulle ribbon around it and stuck it in her bag. When Wes told her to get her bag out this morning, she found it.
Do you think she likes it?!?

We took the girls to Chappy's for breakfast. Avery, Paige, and Caitlin rode bikes and scooters; Wes walked; and I drove the truck so we could put all the ride ons in the back to take back home and get to the ball fields on time. The girls got a booth to themselves which allowed Wes and me to have a nice grown up meal to ourselves - at 7:00 in the morning!
After breakfast, we dropped the bike and scooters off at home and headed up to the ball fields for our 9:00 (which really turned out to be 9:30) game. My mom came and picked up the girls right before it started to take them back home.

At this point, it was time for our game to start. Wes said from the beginning that he thought it would be a tough team and he was right. They shut us out the first inning with a double play - third baseman caught a pop fly and then tagged third when our runner stepped off the base.  It was not a fun way to start the game!

Avery had an A-MA-ZING hit in the second inning that batted in two runners - it was a huge turning point in the game!
Avery did a great job at catcher too (even with her injured knee all taped up from the bike accident yesterday). She has really come a long way and is catching so many more balls with each and every game.  
Despite the slow start, our girls played hard and came back to finish strong with a 9-4 win - way to go Ambassador Awards!!!

After the game, we headed home and Avery got to play for a few minutes before getting showered and changed for play practice. This is also when she pointed out the huge knot and bruise forming on her thigh from a pitch that hit her today while catching.
Notice the red line through the center? That would be the stitching of the softball!! She didn't say a word about it during the game though and kept right on playing. You really should see her legs though - it looks like she has been in a cat fight - they are NOT pretty, that's for sure!

On to our next stop for the day - a special, called play practice from 1:30 - 3:30. Luckily, I was able to use this time to pick up the last few items for Avery's birthday party tonight!

After play practice, we rushed home, Avery changed into her bathing suit, and we had about 30 minutes to catch our breath before heading to the YMCA for her party.

To say Avery was excited would be a slight understatement!! This was the third swimming party she's had at the Y (6th, 7th, and 9th) and the kids always have a blast. I'm sure it's partly because most outdoor pools aren't open yet and it's the first time many kids have gotten the chance to swim for the season. The kids swam, played, went down the waterslides, and laughed bunches.
We had 10 pizzas delivered at 6:30 and they were inhaled in a matter of minutes. Then it was cake time! As always, Ivy made the cake and did an amazing job!

When the finished eating, the kids swam until the party wrapped up at 7:30. Avery asked if her friend Kylie could spend the night and Wes agreed that he would help out, so I said it would be fine. We packed up and headed home. Or so I thought :)

Our neighbors in the cul de sac directly at the end of our street were having a block party. I was beyond exhausted - hadn't been home more than 30 minutes ALL day since leaving at 7:00 a.m., but Wes really wanted to go....so we did. I'll admit, I had a really great time. Saw some good friends, talked lots, good fun.

Until my phone rings. My friend Chelly (who is not at the block party) asks if I've seen Avery and her friend.

How did she know Avery had a friend over is what I'm asking myself in my head.

I respond, "no, they are playing in and out of the yards."

She proceeds to tell me that she found my child and her spend the night company walking the neighborhood LOST and took them back home!!

What?!??

Come to find out, Wes told Avery that they could walk home - straight down the street all of FIVE houses to get her bike and scooter. Apparently Avery got confused and took not one turn, but TWO turns and ended up on the MAIN road in our neighbood at 9:00 at night!!

Yeah, it's time to go home now.

But wait, there are two kids that need baths and Avery still has presents to open from her party.
All the presents are finally opened and kids are in bed at 11:00.

And remember that husband that was going to help with everything? Uh huh...he was in bed asleep at 9:30 - didn't help one single bit!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

wow that does sound like a really long day!! so glad everything was ok with Avery!

kmkarayannis said...

HA! What a day!! I LOVE that shot of Avery batting during her game, that is awesome!! I would have been exhausted after that day too, I think I was exhausted just READING about it!