Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 32/365 - February 1

Is it really February?!?!?  Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was taking down Christmas decorations and here it is almost Valentine's day. {{sigh}}

Tonight was a fun evening at the Golden house. Let me recount an interesting little story from Sunday night to explain.

Remember our mad cleaning frenzy and the few little things we didn't get accomplished on Sunday? Well, one of those items was cleaning Avery's closet. Not so much her clothes, but the bottom of the closet. She had shoes, toys, and all kinds of junk just crammed and piled in there. The doors would barely close and stuff was just falling out. A big old mess that we had both managed to put off cleaning for several weeks.

While Avery was getting ready for bed Sunday night, I was vacuuming the den. She walks in, hops in the chair, and peers over at me.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got - a big ole sassy voice of, "Mama, WHEN are we gonna clean out my closet?!??!!!!???"

I calmly turned off the vacuum cleaner and turned around to face her.

She quickly cowers down in the chair - obviously the fact that I am SO calm is a red flag - and immediately begins with, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have talked like that."

I continue to keep my cool and tell her that we will clean her closet when we get home from school tomorrow. There will be no TV tomorrow so that we can make sure we get her closet cleaned. I proceed to tell her that I appreciate her apology but I will not be spoken to like that.

So, we come home from school and immediately begin work on the closet. We make a lot of headway and although it's not perfect, it's certainly much more functional for her now.
End of story, right?

Wrong! You see, Avery thought "no TV" meant until she got her closet cleaned up. That is where she was wrong - it meant no TV all night as punishment for her behavior. 

The funny part of the night came when we ate dinner (in the den) and Wes turned on the TV to the national news. Avery quickly piped up with the "I can't watch TV" to which I kindly responded with "I don't think the news really counts as TV for you." See, she didn't WANT to watch the news and that is why she was so quick to remind us.

Ahh, she really doesn't realize that we're smart yet does she?? Well, at least for the time being!

4 comments:

jupiter394 said...

Oh, she knows you're smart. She just doesn't realize you're evil! :)

kmkarayannis said...

This a great story! Exactly the kind of reason I love p365! Thank you for sharing this slice of your family's life!

Aussiegirl said...

too funny! God love her! :) And, she has more shoes than I do I think! ;)

Kelli said...

Yeah Dawn, she LOVES her shoes!!! Luckily her foot grows really slow - she's about to be 9 and only wears a size 1 shoe! About once/year she'll have two back to back growth spurts that total about 1-1/2 sizes (within a month or two) and that's all.