Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 103/365 - April 13

As predicted, the morning did NOT start off bright and cheerful. I knew things had ended badly when Wes told me that he finally turned the light on and pulled the covers off Avery in her bed. Uh oh, trouble's a brewing...and I'm glad to not be in the middle of it!

It was nice to have a night at home. Avery and I worked on the poster for her book report that's due this week. I was quite proud of myself (and actually her too) because I let her tell me what SHE wanted to do. Many times with projects I catch myself making suggestions telling Avery what to do, but I decided a while back that I was really going to make an effort to let her do the work herself. Heck, she's in 3rd grade and needs to know how to do these things. Let me tell ya - that first book report (back in the fall) was not fun, but she did it on her own and was proud of herself (as she should be).

I pulled out all of the supplies I purchased on Sunday and Avery's face just lit up - that girl loves some glitter!! She cut out the photos I printed, decided on an arrangement (we worked together on that part a little), figured out her title, and decided on some extra decorations. I was especially proud of her idea to use the number stickers for her steps. It sounds silly as I'm saying it now, but I figured she would just write the steps below each photo. When she saw those numbers she quickly informed me that she planned to use those to number her steps.  See?  Stepping back and letting her "do it herself" is a good thing!


She got everything finished and once again it was almost 9:00 - ack! Avery did promise to try and do better in the morning thought. I told her that when she woke up in a bad mood, it put her Dad in a bad mood which put me in a bad mood and it only went downhill from there. I think it finally sunk in - we'll see :)

1 comment:

kmkarayannis said...

That poster is looking sharp! Good job Avery!